
(WASHINGTON) — Immigrants who arrive in the United States illegally will no longer be eligible for a bond hearing, a move that comes as the Trump administration ramps up efforts to keep immigrants who enter the country legally detained, sources familiar with the matter told ABC News.
The new policy change was announced in a memo last week from the acting ICE Director Todd Lyons. The memo was described to ABC News.
Before the policy change, immigrants could request a bond hearing before an immigration judge. The extensive new detention policy is also expected to face legal challenges
The news was first reported by The Washington Post.
Copyright © 2025, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Latest posts by ABC Radio News (see all)
- Trump’s global tariffs are unlawful, appeals court says - August 30, 2025
- Appeals court sides with judge who blocked Trump administration from ending protections for nearly 600K Venezuelans - August 30, 2025
- What to know about monsoon season in the US - August 30, 2025